The Town of Tin, Commerce, Heritage
Date: January /2012
The name Taiping is made up of two Chinese characters (tai – ‘great’) and (ping – ‘peace’). The area developed quickly in the 19th century when tin was discovered. The discovery of tin deposits in the area attracted settlers from China, who were organised into two feuding groups around the Cantonese Ghee Hin society and the Hakka Hai San society. British intervention in the early 1870s put an end to the feuding and the town, which used to be known as Klian Pauh, until it acquired its present name. The British made Taiping the administrative centre for the state of Perak in 1875. Taiping town in the early 1880s. All buildings were with attap roofs, and Taiping town was partly gutted by fire twice in the early 1880s.
*Taiping is spread out with carefully planned landscaping. Trees have been planted on the median along jalan kota, and in the middle of the street along selected secondary roads. They provide parked cars and pedestrians with shade. As sheltered five-foot ways were common place in taiping, soft landscaping was not solely for shade provision.
The Taiping central market consist of two structures-the first was built in 1884, and stretches from jalan taming sari which is the main road to jalan kota, while the second was opened in 1885, and spans from jalan kota to jalan panggung wayang, they were designed by the colonial public works department, and are probably the largets non-indigenous timber and cast iron structures in the country. They have remained relatively intact and are still in use today.